Picasso Museum (Musée Picasso) Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
One of the cultural highlights of the French Riviera, the Picasso Museum (Musée Picasso) is located in the heart of Antibes, between Cannes and Nice. Housed in the 14th-century Grimaldi Castle—where Picasso lived in 1946—the museum exhibits several hundred works by the modernist master.
Grimaldi Castle (formerly Antibes’ city hall) is where Picasso had his studio in 1946. His many pieces of work from that year—including murals, paintings and drawings—are now displayed here, along with ceramics, etchings, and other works that were later donated to the museum. Additional galleries showcase the work of the abstract landscape painter Nicolas de Staël (who lived in Antibes for a period) and other noteworthy artists, like Joan Miró, Germaine Richier, and Anne and Patrick Poirier.
You can see the Picasso Museum on your own or on one numerous French Riviera day trips. To get a little exercise along with a serious dose of culture, opt for a walking or biking tour of the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Head to the museum’s terrace to take in a range of sculptures, as well as impeccable Mediterranean views.
- The museum offers a variety of talks and workshops, including some in English.
- The museum is accessible for wheelchair users and those with limited mobility.
- The Picasso Museum is free to visitors aged 18 and under, as well as disabled visitors and their companions.
- The museum offers free admission during some cultural festivals in February and November; check the schedule for exact dates.
How to Get There
The Picasso Museum is located on Place Mariejol, overlooking the Mediterranean. It is roughly a 10-minute taxi trip or a 15-minute walk from Antibes’ main train station, the Gare d’Antibes.
When to Get There
The Picasso Museum in Antibes is open every day except Monday, and hours change seasonally. The museum is closed on January 1st, May 1st, November 1st, and December 25th.
Other Antibes Highlights
Spending the day in Antibes? After visiting the Picasso Museum, you can enjoy a variety of other sights: If you feel like planning a multi-stop cultural immersion, head to the Archaeology Museum (Musée d’Archéologie), to see ancient Roman artifacts, or to the quirky Postcard Museum (Musée de la Carte Postale). The beachside resort of Juan-les-Pins is also nearby, as is the spectacularly luxurious Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc, which is located on the Cap d’Antibes.
Address: Château Grimaldi, Place Mariejol, Antibes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur 06600, France
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Picasso Museum (Musée Picasso)
No results found!
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
- Things to do in Monaco-Ville
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Fréjus Saint-Raphaël
- Things to do in St-Tropez
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria