11 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Keeping you safe during COVID-19
What you can expect during your visit
Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
Gear/equipment sanitized between use
Leave the planning and driving to a train conductor while you travel on the Northern Explorer, a long-distance scenic train service running from Auckland to Wellington. Experience the beauty and variety of New Zealand—from the farmlands of Waikato to the volcanic peaks of the Central Plateau and the sparkling Kapiti Coast—while riding a comfortable train. A great way to trade the grind of vacation travel for a bit of romance.
- Skip bus tours and driving for the romance of train travel
- Journey in trains with award-winning carriages and specially designed seats
- Take advantage of open-air viewing decks and GPS-triggered audio commentary
- Journey through Tongariro National Park and the Raurimu Spiral
Saved to wishlist!
One Way Rail Journey
GPS triggered audio commentary
All taxes, fees and handling charges
Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Food and Drinks (available to purchase)
Hotel pickup and drop-off
Excess luggage charges (where applicable)
Departure & Return
Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
District of Freedom#8573311~!#, Bunny Street, Pipitea, Wellington 6011, New Zealand
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if travelling with a wheelchair.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please arrive at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure and check in at the station to receive your boarding pass
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY KiwiRail LTD
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on sanitization during Northern Explorer Journey - Auckland to Wellington by Train?
The policies on sanitization are:
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- "If you're going to Wellington from Auckland, and you have a day to get there, I highly recommend this train!" See review
Explore Similar Things to Do
Rail ServicesTransportation ServicesTransfers & Ground TransportAucklandRail Services - North IslandTransportation Services - North IslandRail Services - Waiheke IslandTransportation Services - Waiheke IslandRail Services - TaurangaTransportation Services - TaurangaCategory
Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE® AquariumAuckland Harbour Bridge ClimbMuriwai BeachDevonportAuckland War Memorial MuseumManukau Heads Lighthouse Rangitoto IslandCoast-to-Coast Walkway Auckland ZooAuckland DomainGlenbrook Vintage RailwayAlbert ParkMotutapu IslandQueen StreetAotea SquarePonsonby Bethells Beach Mt. Victoria Reserve (Takarunga)Viaduct HarbourSilo Park