Departure & Return
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- Children aged 12 and above are permitted to this experience although they need a reasonable amount of fitness to complete the hike.
- The recommended start age for hikers on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is 10-12 years old.
- While some younger children may be able to complete the hike with no difficulty, others may tire and need to be carried.
- It is extremely difficult to carry a small child safely over the Crossing track as parts are quite rough and uneven.
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing should not be taken lightly and you must be properly equipped to undertake this walk.
- Children under 7 years of age are not permitted to travel with us due to unstable weather conditions through the year.
- Tongariro National Park can be subject to unpredictable weather, and conditions can change quickly. It is important that all walkers carry the essentials for their journey across.
- Allow 7-8 hours (a full day) for your hike - be prepared for a long and challenging day out
- Strong, sturdy boots footwear (you will be trekking over uneven volcanic terrain)
- Warm clothing layers: lots of layers. woolen or polypropylene thermals and fleece, waterproof clothing, wind-proof raincoat and trousers
- Take plenty of food and drink especially in the summer months
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY ExperienceKart
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Tongariro Alpine Crossing Experience - Overnight [2 Day Tour].