- Guided rainforest walk in Puketi
- Stop for morning and/or afternoon tea
- Enjoy lunch (if option selected)
- Professional guide
- Headlamp provided for night walk
- Choice of half-day, full-day and night-time walks
Departure & Return
Departure Point: 476 Puketi Road, Okaihau. Address: 476 Puketi Road, Okaihau. Directions: 40 mins from the Bay of Islands.20 mins from Kerikeri, 10 mins from the Bay of Islands airports Return point: Returns to original departure point
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your guided walk along well-marked paths and gain fascinating insight into New Zealand's native flora and fauna in this protected subtropical forest preserve. Keep an eye out for rare birds such as the reintroduced kokako, and learn about some of the 370 recorded plant species.
Trek beside the Puketi River and cascading waterfalls in full flow as your guide shares Maori legends and stories from European colonial history. Stop to admire two of New Zealand’s largest kauris and enjoy views of valleys filled with ancient trees whose ancestors date back to the Jurassic period. You’ll learn about forest ecology and see conservation at work.
If you’ve selected a 3-hour hike, enjoy morning or afternoon tea; if you’ve opted for the 6-hour hike, you’ll also stop for a provided lunch.
If you've selected the nighttime hike, use your provided headlamp to watch the forest come alive after dark, and listen for post-dusk bird calls. Watch bats flying overhead and feeding on insects, and keep a lookout for New Zealand's emblematic bird—the rare, nocturnal kiwi.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 5 years
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking (Full day tour if option selected)
- Medium fitness level required on half day walk, higher level of fitness required on full day walk.
- Please bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, hat and day pack.
- NIGHT WALK - Depart times vary, please confirm at time of booking.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- OPERATED BY Adventure Puketi
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands