8 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Saved to wishlist!
Professional exclusive guide
All mountain equipment required (including crampons and ice axes during winter)
Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity
All clothing and footwear hire
Transport from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune, National Park & Whakapapa Villages available at a surcharge
Departure & Return
53 Carroll Street, National Park 3989, New Zealand
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate.
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Transfers from Taupo, Turangi, Ohakune and Whakapapa Village are available on request for an additional charge. All transfers require a minimum of 2 people. We do not offer Whakapapa Village and Ohakune transfers in winter
- This is not a track and is less stable walking than on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. There are parts of the climb that are reasonably steep up to 33° (ropes are not required) however some may feel slightly exposed.
- Good fitness is required to climb Mt. Ngauruhoe. It is steep with a rugged loose rock surface. During winter and times of snow, surface conditions will vary from day to day. Crampons and ices axes are required and your guide will provide instruction on how to use them correctly.
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Summer Gear List: Water (1-2 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots/shoes, walking trousers, 1 light top and 2 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat.
- Winter Gear List: Water (1-1.5 litres), Personal medications (e.g. Asthma Inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack per person, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3 warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), Waterproof raincoat, Warm hat and gloves.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Adrift Tongariro
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Product code: 54431P5
Explore Similar Things to Do
Nature and WildlifeWalking ToursFull-day ToursWalking & Biking ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsOutdoor ActivitiesLuxury & Special OccasionsPrivate & Custom ToursTours & SightseeingOhakuneNature and Wildlife - North IslandWalking Tours - North IslandFull-day Tours - North IslandCategory